Blogging is like something that can make someone feel happy about himself. Until you are ambitious about making some real cash by blogging its good to take blogging as a hobby and keep going with writer satisfaction.
Blogging is a hobby and not an actual profession yet. You must be thinking, then what the hell is the “FULL TIME BLOGGER” is?!
Yes, there are many bloggers are available who takes blogging as their career and I know 3-4 of them and almost every of these persons are leading luxurious lifestyle by their blogs earning.
They are actually gainers, so you could be. But you has to be ambitious about blogging and to takes it as a profession as well.
Today I am going to share many terms of blogging and a complete blueprint to making money by blogging.
This post is quite long so don’t forget to bookmark this page if you don’t have enough free time right now.
So if you are thinking that I am also a great blogger who made a lots of money every months.. No, I am not..
I have started this blog about six months ago and still playing with bubbles.
So, one lesson is here, blogging won’t give you any instant payouts. Its all about your patience and positive efforts.
Just stick to your aim and do not hurry with any elements that can effects negatively on your blogging career. You can force things up in some points but believe me there are no shortcut to takes your blog from zero to hero over one night. You should pay some real efforts to get reward.
How to start blogging for earning
First of all, there are no essential skills needed except writing to establishing a successful blog. If you are good in writing and can able to express your taught via writing on any specific topic then you are ready to go.
Also you have to eager to learn new things, because if you don’t know enough staff about selected topic you can’t give value to your readers through your points of view on this topic.
At the initial stage every business needs some investment and if you are about to launching your blog and wants to earn from it, then a little investment at starting can speed up the process. Don’t worry! These investment will makes you feeling better than ever in near future.
Let’s dive into the main procedure to making a blog that generates money.
Picking up the right niche/topic for your blog
Here many Beginner’s doing wrong and ends up with nothing when its over.
You might have a superior memory which stores almost everything and may be your friends calling you ‘Google’ because they get every questions answered when you’re around.
But yet you needs to find one specific topic for your blog. Niche blogging is way better than mixing up various topics together. Blogs with one targeted niche can get more exposure and authority than any blogs that have mixing contents.
Now the main thing is to choose the right topic for your blog. You should choose it carefully because if you runs out of contents idea at the halfway then these can be destroy all of your past efforts.
There are some ways to consider which topic you should go with–
- These topic should be the one that you are enjoying to talking about. You know almost everything about it, and you can add some value by your own points of view.
- The topic that you are usually reading all the time and you are passionate about it.
- If you got more than one topics that interest you the most, than simply take a note of each topic as heading and try to write 5 different post ideas under this topics. when you finished your job now try to thinking of each post ideas and find out one topic which you can write about flawlessly without taking much references.
- In some topic you don’t have to has much knowledge on it. Just like affiliate marketing or Bitcoin or binary trade, for those topics you can gather information from various resources and in most cases, sellers are already has much details about their product so you can easily write an insight on it. These is highly recommended, in affiliate marketing you should use a product before start promoting it. Writing review post is one of the best way to promote your affiliate link through your blog.
Choose the right platform
There are many blogging platforms are available over web. Self hosted wordpress blog and Blogger.com (formally blogspot.com) is the popular blogging platform till now.
Blogger.com is hosted and distributed by Google, This is a full free platform for all. Because Blogger is a product of web giant Google, so these is easily thinkable that the service is good even if its a free platform.
WordPress is the most popular website management system in the world. There are 25% of all websites are powered by wordpress and still counting. Although wordpress is free but you need to purchase a domain and hosting to host your wordpress blog. Don’t confuse yourself about wordpress.com & wordpress.org. WordPress.com is the free platform provided by wordpress to start a blog with subdomain of wordpress.com. You can map your own domain by paying an one time cost, but wordpress.com has too much less functionality than a self hosted wordpress site.
You just need to purchase a hosting and a domain and then you are ready to go with your self hosted wordpress blog. You can download the wordpress system from wordpress.org and upload it in your hosting root folder.(Most of the hosting providers has a built in one click wordpress installation system. So you just need to find this option in your hosting dashboard or cpanel). I recommend to start with Bluehost hosting, because they offer quality hosting for only around $3.95/mo which is quiet a cheap deal for newbies.
If you just wants to start blogging and has no idea or experience on it than you should create a blog in Blogger platform and practicing a little before start a paid way of it.
Choose an effective domain name
The most crucial part is here, choosing a domain can make or break your effort so you have to be careful when you select a domain name for your blog. A domain name is an address of website/blog, just like “PlugInBloggers.com”. These address will work on sending visitors to your blog that hosted in some place.
If you want to make some real cash by blogging without investing a healthy amount of money, than you should go with Blogger and setup a custom domain for your blog as soon as possible.
Choosing a domain is not an easy task, a .com domain costs around $12/year. These is highly recommended to use .com domain instead of other extensions, because in search engines com extended domains are get maximum priorities and ranked well than any other domain extension. Sometime it depends on your need, if you wants to rank your blog worldwide than .com is the best choice but if you wants to get higher ranking in your local than you should go with extensions like .co.uk, .in or any other that match your target country. Don’t take domains with extension .info .net .tech etc, because then you need to do something superior to rank your blog in search engines like Google. You will get the best price of your desired domain at namecheap.com. Godaddy is also one of the leading domain seller and you may get the price is slightly lower than namecheap.com. But I recommend namecheap.com because of their lowest renewal fee. You might not wish to renew your domain with a high fee in the next year of purchasing. Am I right?
I usually thinking and doing some real equation when I choose a domain name for myself or a client. They are below.
- Consider the main purpose or topic. I experienced a lot of things related blogging, generally there are two ways to determine a domain name. Branding a name or just pick a name that match your topic. A brand name is something like “Backlinko.com”,”ShoutMeLoud.com” etc. Choosing a brand name is good when you are thinking of a long run and to create a strong position. But in search engines view, domain names with having keywords or topic name inside can rank well quickly.
- Don’t use a persons name in domain, because it will prevent you to make your site authoritative. These is really a bad thing to have your own name in domain. Yes! If you are a freelancer and wants to create your portfolio site than you are welcome to get a domain with your name but this is so unprofessional way to have a persons name domain in a blog.
- Too long domain name will also break your all efforts to make a blog that can pay your bills, so keep it short and memorable. People usually visit sites by searching desired keywords in Search engines, but if they like some contents in some site and notice the domain name then there is a high chance to revisit these site whenever he needed something related. If he couldn’t remember the domain name easily then he will go for another site and probably you missed one valuable visitor who can be a loyal readers of your site or blog.
- Topic related names should not have more than 15 characters. Try to include your main topic in first section or inside last section of your domain name. Suppose, if you choose to write on SEO then having a domain name with SEO will make your blogging journey more secured.
Move to a paid Hosting
Soon or later you should move your blog from a free hosting like Blogger to a paid hosting. I recommend to start with bluehost, they charge only around $3.95/month (one free domain included) which is really cheap for an actual quality hosting. After getting your hosting you need to install wordpress in it.
When you move your blog or start with a paid hosting, you’ll have full control on your blog. You can easily add, change and customize anything in your blog to makes it more relevant and elegant.
Having a paid service is always a good idea because Blogger or any other free platform can stop you at any time, they have the right to do that. But in paid services like bluehost or hostgator your blog will be secured. But, don’t forget to takes backup of your blog in a regular basis even if it is a paid hosting, because computer hardware can crash anytime without hitting an alarm button.
Setup guide for your blog
After having a blog its time to setup some initial parts. Some important things to do at the very beginning of your blog are below.
- Get a professional looking and simple theme for your blog. You can easily get one from MyThemeShop. For blogger users Gooyaabi Templates is the best place to get an elegant template.
- Submit your blog in high authority directories at first, even if you don’t have any contents in it. Add your blogs domain name in all of your social profiles.
- Get email subscription and lead generation service to convert readers into users. GetResponse is one of the best email service provider and MailChimp will give it free till you reach 2000 subscribers in your list.
Integrate an email subscription form in your blog on highly visible area.
- Create pages in social media sites. Instead of using your own name, try to create pages with your blogs title, that way it looks like more professional and will help you increase your blogs authority quickly.
- Setup your domain email address. Never use a public email service like GMail or Yahoo in your blogs contact details or in an email campaign. Because [email protected] is more professional looking than [email protected], so set up email addresses like contact/info/[email protected] in your hosting provider.
Plan about next step
In blogging, planning plays the vital role to makes a blog successful.
Doesn’t matter if you’re a niche blogger or not, mapping a road before start can save your big time when you start driving because you already know the way.
Two things you need to do when planning your contents:
1. Takes the main topic or a sub topic as primary key.
2. Assign at least 5 content ideas or title according to beginner level to advanced level.
Suppose, You’re about to start writing on topic “SEO(Search Engine Optimization)”. Now assign 5 content ideas.. Beginners to advanced..
- What is SEO? or What does SEO mean?
- Key features in SEO
- SEO types (White hat & Black hat)
- On page SEO and off site SEO
- Full optimization guide
So now you got a structure to follow. Firstly publish an article for Beginner level readers and then start writing on next level, After completing every tire try to assign another 5 sub topic inside any mother topic, and that way you will never runs out of topic to write. The most amazing thing about planning a structure and then writing is, you’ll get enough resources to link to in your own blog for beginners when you write an advanced level article. You don’t need to linking to an external resource for reference.
Must have pages for every blog
In general at start up a blog has a home page and article pages. Some other important pages that every blogs should have are below.
About : An About page is about your blog or about you. You can write some real insight on how do you start these blog and your aim, and if you has a team then write something about your team in detail. Do it in a professional way, don’t include your very personal informations or thoughts in your blogs About page.
Contact Us : Another mandatory page for every blog is Contact page. You should provide some contact details or just add a valid working contact form in this page or add both.
Disclaimer : Sometimes or most of the times you’ll try to convince your readers to click on your affiliate links/referral links to purchase or use services. Or maybe you serve third party ads in your blog. So, you are liable to let them know and acknowledge them that you maybe got profits if they use those services by visiting through your links. These is like a legal page that every blogs should have.
Start writing content
These is the actual challenging part of blogging. You should follow some rules to write an quality content that can add some value to your topic and made your content unique.
First of all, Don’t think that your reader has zero knowledge about these topic, so you don’t have to write all details one by one. Summaries the basic things and never explain too much a basic level idea, your reader will got bored if you telling him the things that he already knows.
Try to talk to a single person because your reader is single and only he is reading your article. So, use “You” instead of “We”.
Point out every aspect of your topic by headlines instead of just using different paragraphs. Use relevant images everywhere its needed.
Use your personal screen shots in article. If you have some editing skill than create your own images. Never use images in article by searching and downloading from Google or any other site.
Do you know? Suppose, You are write an article on a topic with around 500+ words, now working hard to rank it in search engine. You did it.. But after one month there is another article from different blog is defeat you and got ranked after you in Google. Just because he has 1200+ words in his article!! Yes, this is true that contents with more than thousand words are rank better in search engines. So, always try to publish contents which is well structured and well written with at least 1000+ words.
Add proper resources links in your content, link to only relevant resources and authoritative sites. If you are not satisfied with resource site authority then simply use nofollow attribute in link anchor tag.
Monetize your blog
Its time to add some monetization option to earn real cash as reward for your positive efforts to create quality contents.
One of the best way of earning through blogging is putting ads in blog. Google Adsense is the top CPC & CPM oriented ad network which pays its publishers from $0.04 – $50 per click that he generated in his blog. Getting approval by adsense is quiet a tough job though. Because they accept every publishers after manually checking their blogs/websites. And Google adsense has a really strict policy about publishers. These is recommended to read and understand their policy before applying as a publisher in adsense.
Using ads is the best monetization option in beginner level. But be careful about placing ads, don’t put so many ads in your blog. Readers won’t revisit blogs with access amount of ads.
If adsense disapprove your application than use Google adsense alternatives to monetize your blog.
Affiliate marketing is another way to earn handsome amount of money through blogging.
Traffic driving strategy
I will describe here two strategies to drive constant traffic to your blog.
First one is a bit tough, these is called SEO.
SEO is stands for Search Engine Optimization, This is a proven and solid way to drive constant traffic for a long time.
There are three core parts of SEO.
1. On site SEO : Search engines should crawl and index your whole site. But this is your liability to set up a perfect structure to guide search engines to index only important pages.
Internal linking is another thing you should have to be careful about. Always try to put links of your another relevant pages in every article.
2. Off site SEO : Creating backlinks are type of off site SEO. Contacting other bloggers and getting links from their blog to your content is a popular way to create backlinks. Though, you can do guest blogging, by writing contents for other authoritative blog will give you the opportunity to put your own links inside article and these way you can easily get high authority backlinks.
3. On page SEO : These is the most important and technical part of SEO. Search engines can’t read your contents like a human reader, they are electronic robots or spiders and you need to optimize all of your content pages for search engine spiders.
There are many things are related to on page SEO, I can’t describe all of them in this article.
But I can give you a summaries list of work to optimize your page easily.
- Add your keywords in title and meta description of your content.
- Don’t repeat keywords too many times in body, over optimization can effects negatively. After all, you should write for human readers and not for serch engines.
- Add your keywords inside at least one h2 tag and in image alt tag.
- Use alt attribute in all of your images, and write some words there which can describe your image topic.
- Avoid uses of iframes and flash contents.
- Improve your sites loading speed.
You can check your content pages for SEO errors in many online tools. SEOSiteCheckup is one of the best free SEO tool around web.
In 2017 one more thing is getting importance in SEO, The social signals.
Social signal means the engagement of your content in social media sites like Facebook, Twitter and Google plus. The more share your content will get by peoples the more authority it will gain in SEO. These doesn’t mean to spam your link, organic way is the best way.
While SEO is the best way to drive constant targeted traffic for free. But it’s a time consuming and tough work.
If you have some extra budget for your blog, then go for this second way to drive traffic to your content.
This is a paid way and really effective.
According to Statista.com, currently there are around 2.34 billion social media users in world and will hit 2.94 billion by 2020.
No need to explain anymore, by using one or two top social media site you can easily attract your targeted audience to takes a look at your content. But you need some budget to start a campaign, do some research before start your campaign or take suggestion from an expert to secure your gaining possibilities high. You can easily get in touch with an social media expert in fiverr.com.
Some common mistakes and how to avoid them
I just point out those common mistakes below, try to remember every single of those points and avoid them to speed up your blogging journey.
- Don’t be hurry, money will not come right after publishing your first article. And obviously, never lose your hope. All you need to setting up a goal to accomplish in near future.
- Ignoring SEO
- Avoid adding many advertising elements at the very beginning of your blog. Never do that, instead use affiliate/referral programs to monetize your articles.
- Get a nice simply designed theme for your blog and don’t change your theme over and over in a short time range.
- Be updated about your topic.
- Don’t depends on adsense. Disapproved?? Well there are many other alternatives are available. Use Infolinks instead.
- Writing contents for your blog is important but at first three to four months you should pay more attention on writing contents for others. Believe me it will help you a lot in your long run.
- Never copy a single line or images from other blogs/websites. If you need to use others content then give them proper credit by mentioning and linking them in your article. Search engines will never rank your content if it’s copied from any other source and you may got penalized by them.
- Don’t forget to optimize your blog for social media. Most of the modern themes are have built in social media meta tags but you should double check your theme.
Related article : How To Create Successful Blog To Become Financially Free
This start up guide to blogging for money have already told you all the aspects of creating a successful blog. If you understand and follow all of them, then you should be a successful blogger in near future.
If you got this guide useful and resourceful then kindly help spread the words by sharing these article in social media.
Remember, Blogging is not a business which can return your investment in a short time. But can gives you a constant flow of income which will increase by time and someday you will earn money while sleeping. These is not just a dream, tthese is proven.